RSS Feed
  1. CSIS tapped phone despite order

    Andrew Duffy, The Ottawa Citizen, 16 November 2010

    photo courtesy of Campaign to Stop Secret Trials in Canada

    Federal security agents recorded 171 phone calls between suspected terrorist Mahmoud Jaballah and his lawyers after they agreed to halt the practice in December 2008. That revelation is contained in a recent order issued by Federal Court Judge Kevin Aalto, who condemns the repeated breaches of solicitor-client privilege. “Solicitor-client privilege is virtually sacrosanct in the Canadian judicial system,” Aalto said in ordering two federal agencies to turn over a raft of documents to Jaballah’s defence team. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service and the Canada Border Services Agency must provide Jaballah with documents related to their policies on intercepting solicitor-client communications.

    They must also turn over any documents that reveal how the privileged information was used in the security certificate case.

    (more…)


  2. Border agency alleges national security certificate detainee breached bail

    Colin Perkel, Canadian Press, 7 May 2010

    TORONTO – Canadian authorities are accusing an Egyptian man who is under stringent house arrest as a threat to national security of breaching his bail conditions for having plastic toy guns in his home.

    In a move Mahmoud Jaballah’s son denounced as ridiculous, the Canada Border Services Agency is asking the courts to seize more than $43,000 in bail money and force sureties to pay another $56,000.

    (more…)


  3. Jaballah Ordered Freed

    Michelle Shepherd, Toronto Star, 7 March 2007

    Jaballah’s family embraces outside the court

    Toronto terrorism suspect Mahmoud Jaballah will be released on strict bail conditions after more than five years in jail without charges, despite government protests he remains a danger to Canada.

    His release comes on the heels of last month’s Supreme Court ruling that struck down an immigration law as unconstitutional and deals another blow to the government’s handling of security cases involving non-citizens.

    “It’s a very happy day for my family. We’re really looking forward to getting him back home and getting on with our lives,” said Jaballah’s eldest son Ahmad yesterday outside the courthouse.

    (more…)


  4. Inside Gitmo North

    Exclusive: After being held without charge for five years, terrorism suspect Mahmoud Jaballah speaks out from the special, high-security facility built just for him and two others near Kingston

    Michelle Shephard, Toronto Star, January 06, 2007

    Milhaven Prison which housed Guantanamo North

    In neat handwriting that fills three pages are Mahmoud Jaballah’s complaints about daily life inside this $3.2 million portable surrounded by barbed wire that was built for him and two other Toronto terrorism suspects.

    He fidgets with the paper on the desk in front of him while he speaks quickly during an interview this week inside the holding centre west of Kingston, dubbed “Guantanamo North” by its critics. A guard sits beside him, staring straight ahead.

    (more…)


  5. “Killing us slowly”

    Mahmoud Jaballah remains in legal limbo

    CURTIS RUSH, Toronto Star, Oct. 19, 2006.

    What does a real spy look like?

    A small number of people in Federal Court in Toronto got to see for themselves during the bail hearing for accused Egyptian terrorist Mahmoud Jaballah.

    If you didn’t know he was an intelligence officer for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, you would have thought he was a businessman.

    He didn’t come into court with a trench coat, sunglasses and floppy hat to cover his face.

    Looking about 35 years old, the CSIS agent had closely cropped dark hair, wore wire-rimmed glasses and a crisp blue suit and carried a briefcase. Nothing in his dress or demeanour brought attention to himself.

    (more…)


  6. Jaballah falls ill after hunger strike

    Brett Popplewell, Canada.com, May 25, 2006

    Supporters in New York during a later
    hunger strike, in 2007

    One of three terror suspects (sic) detained by Canadian immigration officials for nearly five years has developed breathing problems during a hunger strike to protest his living conditions, his supporters said Thursday.

    Mahmoud Jaballah, one of the detainees being held on a national security certificate in Kingston, Ont., is in poor health, said his 19-year-old son, Ahmad Jaballah, who spoke with his father by phone Thursday morning.

    “This morning they put him under the emergency unit,” he said. “He had trouble breathing for about two hours. His health is just deteriorating.”

    The Canadian Border Services Agency declined to comment on Jaballah’s health or the condition of the other detainees, citing privacy issues.

    Jaballah, Mohammad Mahjoub and Hassan Almrei began a hunger strike May 22 at the Kingston Immigration Holding Centre. (JfJ: in fact, Almrei began on May 13th and the other two on May 23)

    (more…)



Sponsored links: Sears Catalogue | Freshco Flyer | Sobeys Flyer | Metro Flyer | No Frills Flyer